Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Final Reflection

For my final reflection I learned that my question, why should hockey fights be banned really doesn't have a definite answer.
It mostly is based on people's opinions on whether or not they should be banned. I found that a lot of people don't want them to be banned because they are the big crowd pleaser and that they at the end of the game is the reason people are spending their money on a hockey ticket. On the other hand you then have the people who say that they should be banned for the fear of a serious life-threatening injury ( Zednik, Malarchuck incident) for example.


Both of those players (Zednik left wing for the Florida Panthers and Malarchuck, goalie at the time for Buffalo) had experienced the same type of injury, a sharp skate right to the neck. Even though neither of them were injured by fighting, it doesn't mean that it wont happen to any other player who actually does experience that as an effect of a fight. I mean you can't play ICE hockey without skates and I'm not saying that the fights should be banned because in my opinion I don't think they should.The players should realize the type of seriousness there is with fighting. They may not intend to cut another player or cause them a concussion but it just may happen all because they want the fans to be happy and excited and not just sit through a boring game of guys just skating back and forth .


I didn't have much success with finding an answer because like I stated earlier I believe my question is opinion based and it's either you want them to be banned following a complete good reason as to why you want them banned or you just simply don't want them banned with an explanation. However I did find out that more people don't want them banned compared to the people who do. Reading the "banners" opinions and their reasons to ban them actually have made a lot of sense to me. I would hate to watch another player get seriously injured by having his neck sliced open as a result of fighting. Some people say that it's all planned out and that nothing really serious would happen in a hockey fight but there is always that good 50% chance that there might actually be.


On the other hand reading the "non-banners" opinions I fully agree with them. I would rather spend my money on a good game with at least some good hard checking into the boards- punches to the face- jerseys over the head- knocking you flat on your face kind of fight instead of spending it on a game that I would want to scratch my eyes out at or drool on the person next to me because I fell asleep. All in all it's back to the fact you either want them to be banned or you don't. We may never know the answer until the day they actually become banned.

No comments: